
Hasbro Kills Star Wars Jedi Director’s Dungeons & Dragons Game Just One Year After Announcing It
Stig Asmussen's studio is no longer developing a big single-player action game set in the fantasy universe
Author
Zack Zwiezen
Reads
N/A
Full Story
351 days ago, Hasbro and Giant Skull, a studio founded by Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order director Stig Asmussen, announced a new single-player action adventure game set in the tabletop universe. Now, that game has been canceled less than a year after it was first teased.
Bloomberg reported that earlier this week, Hasbro canceled a publishing deal with Giant Skull, a studio founded by Asmussen in 2023. Bloomberg reports that earlier this year, it canned the previously announced Dungeons & Dragons action-adventure game that was in development at Giant Skull.
“We assess concepts at every stage of development,” a spokesperson for Wizards of the Coast and Hasbro told the outlet. “While we decided not to pursue an early concept from Giant Skull, we have great respect for Stig Asmussen and his team and value our ongoing relationship.” Hasbro is apparently still taking pitches from Giant Skull.
Asmussen previously worked at Respawn as game director on Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and its sequel, Jedi: Survivor. Before that, he was the game director on God of War III and was art director on God of War II at Sony Santa Monica.
The Giant Skull founder and game director told Bloomberg that he enjoyed working with Wizards of the Coast and parent company Hasbro. He also confirmed that Giant Skull is talking to Hasbro and other companies about possible new publishing deals, adding: “Things are good at Giant Skull.”
Over the last few years, Wizards of the Coast has been investing more in video games. In 2024, Eugene Evans, senior vice president of digital strategy and licensing at WotC, told Game File
that it had over 40 video game projects in some form of development or production across internal and external studios and partners. However, Hasbro and WotC have been cutting costs across the company, including with its ambitious video game plans. In February, Hasbro shut down Atomic Arcade, an internal studio that had been working on a GI Joe game. Now it’s killed a DnD game despite that franchise being bigger than ever. At the moment, Exodus , its upcoming epic sci-fi game– which looks a lot like the Mass Effect sequel fans have long wanted –is still set to launch in 2027.
Don’t miss the latest reviews, news and tips. Sign up for our free newsletter.
Leave this field empty if you're human:
The Latest MTG Secret Lair Drop Was Such A Mess, Even Its Creator Couldn’t Buy Anything
Related stories
Default grid
GameSpotUpcoming Open-World RPG Has "Potato" Graphics Setting Below Even Minimum Specs
Indie-RPG Outward 2 is releasing on Steam Early Access on July 7, and developer Nine Dots Studio wants to make sure you know that even if your PC is an ancient-potato rig, the game will run just fine. In a new video announcing the co-op survival…
PC GamerParty Animals' studio finally cancels its AI video contest and promises to approach topics like this in the future 'with a much more humble and cautious attitude'
"We would like to offer our deepest apologies to all players."
PolygonTeeny Mutant Ninja Turtles trailer: TMNT is back like you've never seen it before
An exclusive look at Teeny Mutant Ninja Turtles, the pre-school take on the TMNT from Nickelodeon Digital Studio
EurogamerMicrosoft launches Xbox Player Voice portal to listen closely to player feedback, fans immediately ask for "great game exclusives"
It's been roughly three months since Asha Sharma took over Xbox , and changes to corporate and business direction haven't stopped coming. From scrapping the "This Is an Xbox" ad campaign to dropping Game Pass prices in exchange for new Call of Duty…
